Yes, job fairs are different now but that does not mean you should not attend them if you are looking for a new job, especially if you ae unemployed or looking for your first job.
Joyce Lain Kennedy recently confirmed in her Chicago Tribune’s Careers Now column (http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/sns-201605111130--tms--careersntp--h-a20160515-20160515-column.html) that job fairs are a not a waste of time depending on your expectations. If you are expecting an immediate job offer, then attending a job fair will waste your time. If you want to meet some valuable contacts and learn about some open positions, then the next job fair in your area will be beneficial.
Other reasons that job fairs are a helpful tool in your job search:
1. You can connect with a recruiter from a company that you are interested in working for
2. You can practice your introduction elevator speech
3. You can get feedback on your resume
4. You can get contacts to add to your LinkedIn Network
5. You can ask recruiters how to transition into a new field
6. You can get tips from recruiters on how to apply online for a job at their company
7. You can connect with a recruiter who might be willing to do a mock or informational interview
#empowercareer#hiring #jobs #jobfair